A charitable remainder trust is an ideal vehicle for making a lifetime charitable gift to The Army Historical Foundation without losing the income generated by the donated property. To create this plan, you transfer cash, securities, or real estate to a trust. The trust then pays you and/or other beneficiaries an income for life, or a period of years. Upon termination of the trust, the trust assets pass to The Army Historical Foundation.
There are two types of charitable remainder trusts: annuity trusts and unitrusts. The charitable remainder annuity trust offers a fixed-amount payout each year. The unitrust pays out a fixed percentage of the value of the trust assets, which are revalued annually.
Although the annuity trust provides no protection against inflation, it eliminates the expense of revaluing the trust assets each year. The unitrust requires more administration costs, but does offer some protection against inflation.
Benefits of a charitable remainder trust include:
- You will receive income for life or for a specified term of years.
- A gift made with low-yielding assets may increase your current income.
- If you make your gift with appreciated assets, you may avoid capital gains.
- You will receive an immediate income tax charitable deduction.
- Your estate tax may be reduced.
- You will enjoy the satisfaction of supporting The Army Historical Foundation’s mission.
- You will be invited to join our Legacy Society.